Back acne (informally named “bacne”) is acne that occurs on the back. It is extremely common, as acne is the most common skin condition in the United States. Acne frequently appears on the face, but also shoulders, chest, neck, and back. Like most forms of acne, back acne is the result of sweat, oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells getting trapped inside your pores. Other causes are sweaty clothes and sports equipment that can cause friction and exacerbate present acne.
The causes are a little more comprehensive than what we’ve described. In this article, we’ll explore all the causes in detail and what skincare products you can add to your routine to rid the skin of this unflattering condition and reclaim your self-esteem.
What Causes Back Acne?
The bad news is that there are many causes. The good news is that one effective solution can treat your back acne, no matter how it originated. A few common causes are:
- Genetics: If breakouts and acne run in the family, you’re more likely to develop it.
- Hormones: When adolescents hit puberty, or when women are pregnant, hormones tend to fluctuate. This can result in breakouts.
- Poor hygiene: Bacteria can clog pores and cause inflammation and infections. If you have mild acne, poor hygiene can lead to severe acne.
- Oily skin type: There are multiple skin types, oily being one of the trickiest to treat. When your body produces excess sebum, this can clog follicles.
- Stress: When you’re under a lot of stress, your body produces more cortisol, which increases the production of sebum.
These are just a few of the most common causes of back acne, but it doesn’t stop there. The most important action to take is to incorporate skincare products that fight acne to get the problem under control.
Treat Back Acne with Exfoliators
Exfoliation plays an important role in sloughing off dead skin cells that may cause acne. Additionally, it aids in cell turnover, which reduces sebum buildup.
When looking for the right exfoliator, it’s important to focus on the ingredients, while taking your skin type into consideration. For example, if you have dry or sensitive skin, you may benefit from a chemical exfoliator rich with AHAs to gently dissolve dead skin cells without causing further irritation.
Don’t be surprised if a chemical exfoliator doesn’t do the trick. In fact, back acne may require a stronger formula, such as the Exfoliating Coffee Scrub from Life’s Butter.
Eliminate Acne with Life’s Butter Coffee Scrub
This powerful exfoliator is packed with ingredients to get the job done: rid the skin of unsightly back acne.
It’s formulated with all-natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin, but tough on common skin issues. Ingredients include:
- Dead sea salt: Cleanse and detoxify the pores on your back by driving out oils, dirt, and other impurities
- Organic Shea butter: Struggling with acne scars? Shea butter helps fade acne scars over time!
- Organic Fair Trade Kona coffee: Caffeine is one of the best ingredients found in exfoliators. Remove impurities and allow the skin to absorb nutrients more effectively.
- Coffee Arabica: Soothe your irritated skin with this oil, which is a great source of vitamins B1, B3, and B5.
We recommend using the Exfoliating Coffee Scrub three times a week while showering – remember, your skin must be damp while using this product! Consistency is key, and over time you'll notice results!